Oxford University Press
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Download whole album or single tracks
One of the most influential books in the history of literature, recognized as the greatest literary masterpiece in Arabic, the Qur'an is the supreme authority and living source of all Islamic teaching, the sacred text that sets out the creed, rituals, ethics, and laws of Islam. Yet despite the growing interest in Islamic teachings and culture, there has never been a truly satisfactory English translation of the Qur'an, until now.
This superb new translation of the Qur'an is written in contemporary language that remains faithful to the meaning and spirit of the original, making the text crystal clear while retaining all of this great work's eloquence. The translation is accurate and completely free from the archaisms, incoherence, and alien structures that mar existing translations. Thus, for the first time, English-speaking readers will have a text of the Qur'an which is easy to use and comprehensible. Furthermore, the translator M.A.S. Abdel Haleem includes notes that explain geographical, historical, and personal allusions as well as an index in which Qur'anic material is arranged into topics for easy reference. His introduction traces the history of the Qur'an, examines its structure and stylistic features, and considers issues related to militancy, intolerance, and the subjection of women.
Clearly written and filled with helpful information and guidance, this brilliant translation of the Qur'an is the best available introduction to the faith of Muslims around the world.About the Series:
For over 100 years, Oxford World's Classics has made available the broadest spectrum of literature from around the globe. Each affordable volume reflects Oxford's commitment to scholarship, providing the most accurate text plus a wealth of other valuable features, including expert introductions by leading authorities, voluminous notes to clarify the text, up-to-date bibliographies for further study, and much more.Features
- A major new translation of the supreme authority in Islam, published at a time of intense interest in the Islamic religion and the Muslim world.
- The translation is accurate, easy to read and free from the archaisms, incoherence, and alien structures that mar most existing translations.
- Includes features such as: dialogue addressed to the Prophet is identified to avoid confusion, paragraphing and punctuation have been added to assist meaning and sentence structure, and the beginning of each verse is marked in small superscript type in order not to interrupt the flow or distract the reader.
- The introduction offers a brief history of the revelation and compilation of the Qur'an, its structure and stylistic features, and considers issues of interpretation in relation to militancy, intolerance, and the subjection of women.
- Provides notes that explain geographical, historical, and personal allusions and cross-referencing within the Qur'an.
- Concludes with an index that arranges Qur'anic material into topics for easy reference.
"One of the best [translations] to have appeared in recent times." --Muslim News
"Accessible and compelling... a remarkable achievement." --New Statesman
Dimensions: (5" x 8" x ")
First Publishing Date: 6/15/2008
Current Publishing Date: 7/1/2010
Item Weight: .7738 pounds
Theme: Holy Qur'an
Noorart Code: BKQ
Audio Sample 1
Audio Sample 2
Audio Sample 3
Audio Sample 4
Audio Sample 5
Audio Sample 6
Audio Sample 7
Audio Sample 8
Take a moment to review this product! Let us know the pros and the cons, and share your thoughts about it. Your input will help other customers make better purchases and product choices from Noorart.com. We appreciate your feedback!
You can earn 20 loyalty points for every review you submit. You can submit one review for each of the products you have ordered. (Only one review per product, please. At this time, this feature is available for retail customers only.) For more information about our Retail Loyalty Program, please click here.
Click here to write a review